By Mechthild Gretsch
The literature of Anglo-Saxon England is exclusive between modern eu literatures in that it incorporates a giant quantity of saints' lives within the vernacular. This examine analyzes an important writer Aelfric's lives of 5 vital saints within the mild in their cults in Anglo-Saxon England, offering the reader attention-grabbing glimpses of 'Aelfric at work'. He adapts the cults and rewrites the acquired Latin hagiography in order that every one in their lives conveys a special message to the modern political elite in addition to to a lay viewers at huge.
Read Online or Download Aelfric and the Cult of Saints in Late Anglo-Saxon England PDF
Best english literature books
In seventeen volumes, copublished with Baylor collage, this acclaimed sequence beneficial properties annotated texts of all of Robert Browning’s identified writing. The sequence encompasses autobiography in addition to impacts touching on Browning’s lifestyles and occupation and facets of Victorian suggestion and tradition. ?Robert Browning wrote Parleyings with yes humans of significance of their Day in his seventy-third 12 months.
There was a lot specialize in the imperial stare upon colonized peoples, cultures, and lands in the course of and after the British empire. yet what have writers from those cultures made from England, the English, and the problems of race, gender, classification, ethnicity and wish once they traveled, expatriated, or emigrated to England?
This ebook, the 1st to think about Gerard Manley Hopkins as an ecological author, explores the size that social ecology deals to an ecocriticism hitherto ruled through romantic nature writing. The case for a 'green Hopkins' is made via a paradigm of 'Victorian Ecology' that expands the scope of current reviews in Victorian literature and technological know-how.
To discover additional info approximately Rowman and Littlefield titles, please stopover at www. rowmanlittlefield. com.
- George Eliot's English Travels: Composite Characters and Coded Communications (Context An Genre in English Literature)
- Laudian and Royalist Polemic in Seventeenth-Century England: The Career and Writings of Peter Heylyn
- Foucault and Literature: Towards a Genealogy of Writing (New Accents Series)
- Lovesickness and Gender in Early Modern English Literature
- The Historical Novel from Scott to Sabatini: Changing Attitudes Toward a Literary Genre, 1814-1920
- Landscape and Literature 1830–1914: Nature, Text, Aura
Additional resources for Aelfric and the Cult of Saints in Late Anglo-Saxon England
Xxvi). For the manuscripts, see ibid. pp. , pp. 13–25, and Lapidge, in Biblical Commentaries, ed. Bischoff and Lapidge, pp. 168–72. For the Leiden Glossary as a testimony to Theodore’s and Hadrian’s Canterbury school, see Lapidge, ‘The School of Theodore and Hadrian’, pp. , ‘Appendix’, pp. 163–8); and see Lapidge, in Biblical Commentaries, ed. Bischoff and Lapidge, pp. 173–9. The Leiden Glossary is ptd by Hessels, A Late Eighth-Century Latin-Anglo-Saxon Glossary. The Gregory batches are ptd Hessels, Late Eighth-Century Glossary, pp.
131. That it was produced, inter alia, to streamline the text into some conformity with Winchester vocabulary has been convincingly demonstrated by Hofstetter, Winchester und der sp¨ataltenglische Sprachgebrauch, pp. 146–9. For the character of the Winchester words and the rationale behind their employment, see now Gretsch, ‘Winchester Vocabulary and Standard Old English’, pp. 44–69. For Ealdwulf as the possible reviser, see D. Yerkes, ‘The Translation of Gregory’s Dialogues and its Revision: Textual History, Provenance, Authorship’, in Studies in Earlier Old English Prose, ed.
12 Therefore, when Ælfric, in the second sentence of his Life, says about Gregory: He is rihtlice Engliscre ð eode apostol, forð an ð e he þurh his ræd and sande us fram deofles biggengum ætbræd and to Godes geleafan gebigde13 he will have been aware that – in spite of the clear verbal echoes – he was not only reiterating Bede, one of his principal sources. 14 His Winchester training will no doubt have guaranteed a thorough knowledge of Aldhelm, the most prominent curriculum author in 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Cf.